One Shady Knight in Chicago

.......Black by POPular Demand

"Ain't no fun to be alone," he said. Over and over and over again.
The manifesto Mr. Pop shouted out loud, to believers yesterday was glorious respite from the humidity of Grrrrrrant Park.


After everyone bumrushed the stage and peacefully returned to their legal positions, Mr. POP then sent a special shout-out to the wholly Godfather upstairs.
"Thanks to everyone who came up on stage! I would thank God, but He didn't come up here."
Another act which definitely had its proverbial populist stuff together was DAFT PUNK, which grabbed one side of the park simultaneously while Ben Harper & Co. peformed at the opposite end on Friday night.

I continued videotaping, recording, and bootlegging. Then I shot this while driving up and down from the festival on Lake Shore Drive:



Lollapalooza saw a performance from Scandanavia-by-way-of-LA's Peter Bjork & John. Transplants are a big deal in Chicago now, as I've noticed the demographics of young folk has changed rather dramatically the last several years since our generation graduated from college right after the Millenium. Thanks in part to our increased mobility thank in large part to awesome resources like Craigslist. Ever heard of craigslist? If not, please logout of your IBM PC Windows platform immediately.

This night was one of my last in a three-week stint in Chicago which added to other new experiences: For over 21-plus years of living in Chicagoland, I'd never spent a day at Oak Street Beach -- saw Malibu's very own Incubus at the new LiveNation-run outdoor pavilion on the former Meigs Field, and experienced an AVP pro beach volleyball tourney on the same weekend.


Later I was at the Water Tower Place Borders, one of my favorite reading spots growing up. Last time I was there I met George Carlin for the first time, he being there for his final book signing in 2004.  This time I ran into a guy and his gal ordering up a brownie at the cafe on the second floor. We chatted and turns out that he's a drummer for a rock outfit out of my suburban enclave, signed on a major label. Not only that but his older brother was a friend of mine from middle school.


One of Christopher Nolan's ROFLcopters. Madison & Wabash Ave. I think.
  Then I got out of the Borders, hopped in my rental,  and swung onto Michigan Ave. Made a few turns, and ran into that helicopter on the left at an intersection.



Now that's a prop from a
bigtime knightime



movie, which was in its final weekend of being shot in downtown Chicago. I offered a ride in my rental car -- a gold '06 Hyundai Elantra with New Jersey tags -- to a stunt man from England, and one of Christopher Nolan's personal assistants, one who was making $45k outsourced from W.B. hq's in Burbank.

Later on that I hung out with some crew from Batman, which has several Chicago connections. The director and his brother, the movie's screenwriter Patrick Nolan, both grew up in Chicagoland. Christian Bale's wifey is also originally from here. And so am I.

By weird coincidence The Dark Knight wrapped up shooting on the same weekend as Lollapalooza. There was a really awesome buzz downtown. Through a strange chain of twists and turns I was able to attend the three-day extravaganza at absolutely no cost. I can't really explain how I scored the pass -- at the very last second on Friday morning, no less -- but rest assured I did not have to perform fellatio on
Danny Masterson's red hot cock to score it.


Alas even as I wished to not fight the law, the law won.

I ended up having said rental car towed away while it was parked in front of the hotel of Masterson's afterparty on Sunday night.
It wasn't until 5am that I got the car back as I wandered the streets looking for an officer.

The parking violation, the cost of recovering the rental car and other expenses of the tow came out to around $180, eclipsing the cost of a three-day pass to the festival by the a few dollars of surcharge fees.


See you in court. Wristband and all.