Perestroiking Fashionistas

Another gun-slinger went on a campus shooting rampage over the weekend. This time in Dekalb, Illinois. A place not too far from where I grew up.

Besides home to NIU, Dekalb is most notable for being the cornfed hometown of Cindy Crawford, arguably the world's first professional supermodel.

Don't blame Cindy for all the lame reality TV shows featuring wannabe models. Beginning in 1989 she hosted the show House of Style on MTV, one of the network's first quality programs. It was substantive (read: informative, not schlock) and hip and edgy and well produced. The music supervisors had eclectic taste. Check out that clip to see how a a good commercial gets shot.

Most fashion circles I've found myself in the last few years have been predictably flakey and Zoolanderish. Except for rediscovering one designer who is getting even more relevant with old age, and who put in her two pence on the presidential race over the weekend.

Vivienne Westwood created the infamous slashed-A anarchy logo, when her husband Malcolm McLaren was hanging out with (or some might say "managing") the Sex Pistols. Both of her kids have gone into erotica fashion, btw.

Her anarchy logo belonged as a patch on my beloved berlin jacket, which I can't find anywhere. Do you know where I put it? If you know where it is, just email me. I started wearing army suprlus parkas beginning with a copycat one in 1992 from Eddie Bauer after I saw Eddie Vedder wear something while jamming on stage. It was totally different from the Kurt Cobain jacket from Volcom.

(if you'd like to buy me a Vedder berlin jacket for the upcoming Naw Ruz holiday, I do have a PayPal account.)

(or just gift me a Flickr Pro account, since I'll be uploading my Polaroids soon; just like FENSLER!)

Now speaking of Westwood, I can never stop watching my favorite screenplay of 1995. Amy Heckerling shot pivotal scenes at the Westside Pavillion mall, which I always knew, but yesterday I found out about another location while watching my second favorite part of a movie (the closing credits, after the intro sequences). I did not realize she shot those classroom scenes at Occidental College. That's the institution where a young Barack Obama started going to college, as proven by this documentary. Now about that logo...