Stale-mail

Haven't handwritten a love letter, postcard, or even nary a memorandum in god knows how long.

You know who you are, and I know I do it too.

Email was once the best alternative to 'snail mail', but now with all the impersonal junk and meaningless messages our inboxes are now like our mailboxes.

It was a nice feeling to see 'new messages' or 'you have new mail' when one wakes up in the morning.

But its a momentary blip, a fleeting feeling that gets brushed aside with all the other distractions in our face after we quickly realize that we were too lazy to reply back, brushing it aside and pompously thinking that we'll get to it.....later. I hate it when I notice someone has read my messages but never bothered returning it. I feel even worse when I realize I do the same thing.

I'm ready to change being like that. Hows about you?

Happy Valentines Day, whoever you are. Just wanna say it now just in case I forget.

"The sense of loss I feel about the decline of e-mail has less to do with how we communicate than with what we communicate. The means by which we deliver a message affects its content. While the rise of the BlackBerry has proven that e-mail can be adapted for fast-burst communiqués, the medium is best-suited for longer musings. As opposed to instant messaging, e-mail provides the breathing room to contemplate what we're writing and express nuanced thoughts. A well-tended e-mail inbox and outbox can serve as a sort of diary, an evolving record of your curiosities, obsessions, introspections, apologies, and heart-to-hearts. Instant messages, on the other hand, are like Post-it notes, handy for a few minutes but hardly worth saving. While IMs and text messages have a throwaway quality, e-mail is for the sentimental. I still have some of the first flirtatious e-mails I exchanged with my wife in college. I have thoughtful monologues from friends in the midst of crises. I have e-mails from my parents that I envision showing to my children someday. Aw."