Different Strokes for Suburban Folks

3 A.M. eternal - a Human Giant
Haven't gotten around to seeing Juno yet, but its soundtrack features the Moldy Peaches re-uniting for a little jingle thanks to the film's son-of-a-celebrity Canadian director-mofo.

The flick was penned by Diablo Cody aka Brooke Busey-Hunt, yet another alt-scribe who's my age from my suburban hometown making it big in L.A. who is not me.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Los Anjealousy can be a big bad bitch.

I really hope Juno isn't simply this year's Little Miss Sunshine and be another Mono-dimensional storyline with an all-white cast featuring an all-american yuppie family struck with sexual dysfunction. Then I'll start to hurl......things. So I'll hold out on judgment. But hey, I'm just some crack addict who sells nuclear warhead recipes behind a Jiffy Lube in Topeka. So what do I know.

Regarding the 'Peaches, I met the duo of Adam Green and Kimya Dawson back in 2001 when they opened up for the Strokes' first tour. Right after seeing this show for ten bucks I was convinced to check out the Gotham City scene for the first time in mi vida.

After a few trips into Manhattan and its burroughs, I understood a few simple facts: 1) I don't come from a wealthy family 2) I can't afford being a vegan 3) One man's whistle-blower is another man's "snitch."

Not to say I didn't learn anything. Like that right there is a screenshot at 00:38 of Roman Coppola's video for their song "Someday", shot around sunrise at a L.E.S. dive bar in June '02. (shout-out to Sumner at the B&W, the basement bar beneath the headquarters of Wiz Kid Management.) It's the moment when Casablancas points to a TV showing the live telecast of this awesome moment. A couple of years later I found myself sitting in the production office of one-take Jake Scott's film company in SoHo, looking at the treatment he wrote for what turned out to be this vid. (Jake also directed this lil' viddy from Oasis, which had a huge influence on me when it was played at midnight on 'Alt Nation' as I was laying in bed.) It wasn't the amazing one-take for Tracy Bonham, but it was still good. So not all was lost. Thanks, Dan.

Speaking of the Fabrizio Five, they've got a new website up designed by a LucasFilm elf named Warren Fu. I'm a bit disappointed. The original Strokes page was one of the best band websites ever, perfectly encapsulating the cool-yet-minimalist aesthetic tone that gives the band its primary appeal -- the reason why the immortal Liam Gallagher replied with a "Meh. They look good though..." when asked. There's a reason why they're one of the favorite contemporary bands for folks in the Film/TV industry in L.A., which reminds me of the Hollywood Avalon show for the MTV$2 bill DVD directed brilliantly, nay illuminately for its lighting, by Roman Coppola as well.

Is This It produced a collection of some of the best lo-fi videos this decade. Which isn't saying much. The Strokes are no longer faves at the sad, insipid morgue that is today's eMpTyV, which officially changed their signature titling format they use to stamp their videos this year. I like the new over-blown size, but it's telling that the opening title doesn't show the artist's record label nor the name of the video's director. No wonder videos are now reverting back to being called just 'promos' again.