Artistique Persans

Really wished more middle-aged Iranians sounded like Marjane Satrapi, the graphic novelist who was interviewed on the Colbert Report last night.

Would've made the whole 'communcation' thing feel a lot less.........torturous.

The previous time one of my favorite shows featured a Persian entertainer it was the comedian Maz Jobrani in '06. I had drinks with him that night at the Comedy Cellar a few hours after Maz taped this episode at Colbert's studio (on West 54th in midtown, the former location of the Daily Show). After our chat I walked across the street to a bar and caught noted Cellar-dweller John Mayer kissing an Indian woman who I believe was Maz's wife.

I kidd you, Maz. I kidd. Like Jason.

Satrapi is in the States promoting the film adaptation of her autobiographical Persepolis. The last few years I've bought both the first book and its sequel for a myriad of non-Persian lovers and acquaintances. One time I even faux-autographed the opening page. And it worked.

I first read about her in a blurb in the Village Voice back in '04 regarding Marjane's cantankerous in-your-face book signings. This was confirmed by my friend Farzad in L.A. (a cinematographer and CalArts alum) who exchanged a few "beetarbiatt" unpleasantries.